Friday, June 13, 2014

We Made It...

Dear Savannah,

We made it through the week!! It was an emotional week, but we both survived. I can't even begin to tell you how proud I am. You not only started school, but you graduated from the infant toddler program at Perkins.

On Monday and Tuesday, because I couldn't resist, I joined you and your new friends at school. It is amazing. It is a class with many disabled peers and a few peer models. First, I am very impressed with the patience of the peer models, because sometimes, special kiddos need a little more attention.  At circle, a little girl took a while to warm up to you, but then kept requesting that you have another turn. It filled my heart with hope. After gym, a sweet little boy held the door for us and looked back into the room to make sure that nobody was left behind.
Your First Day of School June 9. 2014

Tuesday, it was another boy that melted my heart. He was patting you on your head. At another point, I watched him go by and rub another little guy (seated in his chair) like a true  friend. He has a very caring spirit.  Another friend who happens to be blind and has the biggest personality, was very concerned when you were crying.

Ultimately, this is why I gave up my fight at Perkins. I want you to be around peer models. I want you to hear typical children playing and I want children to play with you. It was truly amazing to watch and I am very grateful that your peers will learn to accept you as you. They treat everyone the same. I am very thankful their parents made the choice to send them to a collaborative school. I was told there is a waiting list to be a peer model. Pretty amazing.

Overall, this transition went smooth. To be honest, I was a mess on Monday, building up anxiety to leave you on Tuesday, cried a little on Wednesday, but we made it. Your teacher and the social worker updated me with two emails, and four photos to help make it a little easier. I was so anxious to pick you up. I truly missed seeing your sweet little face.

Just as one chapter was beginning, another was ending. Thursday, you graduated from the infant toddler program at Perkins School for the Blind. It was bittersweet. I am extremely proud of your growth over the last ten months but very sad to leave a place where I feel at home. We have both formed new friendships that I hope will last forever. It was a place where you played with some really amazing children and some really amazing volunteers. It was a place where I first could relate to parents raising a child with a visual impairment and other disabilities. I gained so much strength and knowledge and support that I am sad to leave it behind. I have already invited the whole group over for a play date next week. It will be a crowded house, but fun. I'll do my best to keep in touch.
We are proud of you!! Daddy came too, he was the photographer. 


Add caption

Savannah Mae, you are the sweetest little girl. Thank you for being my daughter and teaching me so much about life. You are the best teacher I have ever had and you are only three. I really feel blessed to be your mommy.

I love you my little love bucket!!

Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment