Sunday, June 15, 2014

Interview with Daddy, on Fatherhood and Special Needs

Dear Savannah,

Mimi is on her way to visit you and to give me a little extra emotional support while we are going through this transition. Of course, her flight is delayed, really delayed, so I took the opportunity to interview Daddy. Tomorrow is Father's Day, Daddy's fourth to be exact. His first Father's Day you were still in the NICU. I remember trying to find a gift for him in the MGH gift shop. However, I can't remember what, if anything I decided on. He doesn't remember either.



Daddy has continued to love you and help you grow. It is amazing how you have brought us so much closer. I fall in love with him more and more watching him be your daddy.

Here are the questions I asked along with his responses:

What do you enjoy most about being a daddy?
-I enjoy all of her smiles. I love watching her develop because she is doing so good. It also feels really good to be needed you know? (Yes, I agree. It feels really good to be needed)

What did you imagine when you learned you were going to be a dad?
_I imagined chasing Savannah all around at this point. I pictured a more independent child. At the same time, all I really imagined was loving and caring for Savannah. (He is doing a good job :))

What is your favorite thing to do with Savannah?
-I enjoy getting her out of the tubby and rubbing her down with lotion. I like to swing her. I also enjoy playing blocks and bells with her. I even enjoy putting her in her stander. (Daddy likes to play blocks because he gets to use his putter to pick them up. You knock them off your light box and Daddy uses his putter to gather them. It is very cute to watch.)

What is your least favorite thing to do with Savannah?
-Nothing really. Everything I do gives her some enjoyment. I really used to hate to stretch her neck. (We used to stretch your neck multiple times a day because of your torticollis. Physical therapy has helped you so much.)

What do you enjoy most about having a special needs child?
-She doesn't talk back(laughing). She is really just pure enjoyment.(Yes, you are Savannah Mae.)

What are the challenges you think we will face raising a daughter with special needs?
-Challenges? Maybe future worries about what Savannah will need. I worry about how she will be treated(me, too) and how I will react to those who are cruel.( Me, too Daddy!!)

Do you feel overwhelmed?
-Not really. If she was more medically fragile, maybe I would feel overwhelmed. (Mommy feels overwhelmed at times, but I am very thankful you have been so healthy)

What do you love about Savannah Mae?
-EVERYTHING!! (100%agree) I love her personality. She is happy, resillant, and feisty. (He meant to add beautiful and sweet, too)

As you can see, you are a lucky girl. Your daddy loves you very much. We both love you and adore you. Daddy whistles a lot to make you happy. He also sings toddler tunes that get stuck in his head when you are asleep. It's pretty cute.

Papa Don has been an amazing father to me. I still need him. He tells me to keep my chin up when I'm feeling stressed and always has the best advice. He is an amazing cook, cleaner and gardener. He is an amazing Papa, too.

We never had the chance to meet Papa James. He went to heaven when daddy was a teenager. I think Daddy is a lot like him, from all the stories he has shared.

Tomorrow, we will celebrate Daddy and spend the day with Mimi. Im excited to see her. I know she is excited to see you too. I love you sweet girl.

Love, Mommy









No comments:

Post a Comment