Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Productive Week

Dear Savannah,

   Last week was a bit crazy and not so typical, but very productive. Monday was a holiday, which was my last day off following a long vacation. The B's spent almost two weeks in France. They had an amazing time and brought you a souviner, a French ladybug.

   Tuesday was a full day of work for us. After we picked the girls up from orientation at their new school, we went out for lunch. I let them chose anywhere, so we found ourselves at Buffalo Wild Wings. I thought it was an odd choice for children who rarely eat chicken without complaining, but they all ordered wings and everyone was happy.

   Wednesday started with the craziness. You had your Early Intervention evaluation. It is a standardized test that made me want to burst into tears. It is a test not made for the visually impaired, so it was really hard to have them challenge you in ways that are not physically able to be challenged. I know it is for the purposes of you receiving these services for another year, I just wish there was another solution to qualify. Although I know you are globally delayed, it just felt like a slap in the face. I stayed very strong, until the four evaluating you left and then I burst into tears, holding you a little tighter.

   Thursday I met with three of the four lovely ladies that provide her with these services. Currently, you meet with Kate who is a social worker who combines all of your therapies. She also serves as my therapist and let's me vent all the outside drama that surrounds me once a week. Not really my therapist, but she is great. You also meet with Keri, a physical therapist once a week and a feeding/speech therapist, Arielle once a month. We updated your goals and things I would like to help you accomplish over the next year. They range from sitting independently to holding a sippy cup or bottle. The only therapist we were missing was Mary, your vision teacher. We are excited to see her tomorrow because it has been many weeks. Mary comes from Perkins School for the Blind and they have the month of August off. We see her once a week as well, so yes we are very busy.

   Friday was a good day. I took you to the FRC clinic where you were evaluated by a team of doctors. I went in there with one goal I wanted to see happen and I left one very happy momma. You have not learned how to bear any weight on your legs, rarely I should say. You kick and do what Daddy and I call a "ka-boom',  but you never want to stand, even with help. I wanted to walk away with some  type of device that could help you. I am thrilled to say, you will be getting a Squiggle stander to help your hip development and to get you standing. This will also require that you gets afo's for support during standing. Several months ago I hated the idea of all this. I never felt you would need any of these devices to help.  Maybe I just felt as if someday you would start walking without learning to use your body. Who knows what I was thinking. I know you do in fact need more help than I am physically able to give you and I am very pleased with the outcome of this appointment. Let's just say, we had a very productive week!! I love you sweet pea!!

Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment