Sunday, November 24, 2013

Understanding Cortical Visual Impairment

Dear Savannah,

You kept me very busy this past week with regular therapy, two appointments, school, and we met with the a lady from the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind. Needless to say, we were both exhausted. I am looking forward to spending extra down time with you over Thanksgiving and my time off surrounding the holiday.

One of your appointments involved getting your vision tested. The great news is that your vision has improved over the last year. The not so great news, you have a significant astigmatism and need an even stronger prescription. It is likely that you will always need glasses now. Good thing you look so adorable in your pink and purple glasses.

Cortical visual impairment has been very confusing for me to understand. Here is what I know: CVI is a neurological disorder. The visual pathways and/or the optical lobes have been damaged due to a number of different reasons. This results in visual processing difficulties. I have always been told you have healthy eyes and the nerves are pink. This indicates that your eye exam is normal. Most children with CVI are not totally blind and can increase their vision through vision therapy. With this said, most children with CVI are legally blind. Patience is key for you and others with CVI. Savannah, we allow you more time to visually process an object. Your visual behavior demonstrates "peeking" at this point. We present you with an object, and sometimes you "peek" and turn away. Again, we allow you time to locate the object if you seem interested. Other times, we can present you with an object and it is too overwhelming so you will turn away. Visual processing can be very tiring for you. You "peek" the best when you feel secure and comfortable. You do a great job in your stander  and while on your back for visual activities. Oh, and you just love light.  Everywhere we go, you find the lights. You are a light gazer.  Daddy and I used to joke about "your" lights before the diagnosis. You are very content to stare for no apparent reason. Puzzling for sure but you have shown so much improvement over time and we are very happy with your progress.

Here is a photo you doing a little therapy using a light box. You love to knock the blocks off of the light box. You really are the cutest.


Our other appointment this week were to be fitted for a gait trainer. You looked awesome and even initiated a few steps on your own. Not such a typical step, but reassuring to me that you are just on "Savannah Time".

It is truly amazing  to me that God gave me such an extra important job of raising a child with special needs. You have taught me so much and made me into a better person. I love being your mommy. You bring me pure joy!!

I love you sweet girl.

Love, Mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment